I have recently been delivering training for content authors at a large local authority in the North of England (a new Content Management System is being rolled out), and I thought I would jot down my notes on what trainers should bear in mind when delivering software training:
- Set out expectations – what will we learn?
- Establish prior experience – what level of delivery is appropriate?
- Model (demonstrate) what to do – don’t tell; show.
- Be clear – use simple language and avoid jargon.
- Be brief – do not digress; leave that for the tea break.
- Respond to needs – be flexible with the content of your delivery and switch focus if people want/need it.
- Conclude with a plenary session – wrap up and refresh so people remember the key points.
Above all, remember that different people have different learning styles, so always provide a mixture of Visual / Auditory / Kinaesthetic means for the trainees to engage with the subject.